Keystone is an impressive destination for all kinds of conferences and meetings. As you will see on the map below, Keystone is located in the Rocky Mountains. The location is literally spoken somewhere in the middle of nowhere but this is what makes it unique for project workers who aim at combining pure nature and some physical exercise with work. In the wintertime, Keystone is one of the nearby skiing resorts of the Denver area. In the summertime, hiking, biking, horse-riding and golf are the major leisure time disciplines. For seasons with less visitors, a modern conference centre has been built and helps Keystone Resort to have a stable visitor stream all over the year. By the way, to the physical exercises should be drawn special attention because Keystone is located on 2.800 meters above sea level and a sun burn comes without prior notice. Untrained persons might also feel the thin air when climbing the few meters from the hotel complex to the conference centre.
What to do
Keystone Resort offers a large variety of leisure time activities and the resort managers will happily assist meeting organisers in combining work and leisure-time activities. Have a look at the map of the resort, where you define different layers of interest. The activities themselves heavily depend on the season:
- The winter season offers all options of ice-skating, downhill and cross-country skiing.
- In the summertime, we can recommend mountain-bike trips and hiking. For team-building processes, think about booking a guided rafting trip.
- Try fly fishing. You will not find a better place to catch your first trout. Before starting to buy all the equipment and joining the mobile fishing community, consult the legal frameworks or visit the homepage of the Colorado Division of Wildlife (CDOW). The CDOW releases annually a brochure which includes all relevant information regarding closing seasons, licences, fishing definitions, etc. Starting fly fishing from the scratch without a trusted guide is not a wise idea. Better have a look beforehand for some professional advise.
Where to stay
- The Keystone Lodge and Spa is located pretty close to the conference centre and group discounts can be negotiated for bigger conferences. Check with your local organizer whether such an agreement has been made.
- If you prefer some distance to the conference centre (for what ever reason) check the website of the resort for some alternatives.
- Before speaking about getting around, we need to clarify how to get there. The next international airport is Denver International, which is about 120 kilometres away and can be reached via interstate 70 in less than an hour (without traffic jam). For getting to Keystone, you have basically two options: The first option is booking a ride with the Colorado Mountain Express (CME), which offers regular connections to all these small villages in the area. When going for this option, check with your host whether they have a special agreement with the CME, otherwise you might have to pay much more when booking the trip spontaneously at the airport. The second (and more convenient) option is renting a car. It will also significantly increase your mobility in Keystone itself.
- Keystone Resort is so small that all Points of Interest are in walking distance. However, do not expect too much from a resort which has less than 900 inhabitants. There are only very small stores with a minimum of products. The only real alternative, if you like to see something of the beautiful surrounding, is renting a car before coming to Keystone.
Where to eat
- The resort itself offers a large variety of restaurants and dining facilities. A brief overview can be found on the official website of the resort. However, one should have in mind that Keystone is somehow a closed cosmos and that price / quality ratio could be much better when making a short ride with the rented car down to Dillon or Silverthorne .
- Check the Arapahoe Café in Silverthorne, where you can try all the good stuff which the United States are famous for. Here you will get some tasty spare rips, burgers and steak – it is delicious …..
What to bring home
- Make a stop at the Outlets of Silverstone at Rainbow Drive. Here you can buy all the nice brands, like Calvin Klein, Adidas, Old Navy, Nike and many others for small prices. When planning the shopping stop-over, leave enough space in your luggage beforehand and think about what you are allowed to bring back home. If you are not sure, have a look at the website of the customs service. Silverthorne also has a shopping center where you can buy all daily-life-products.
- Have a look at Google maps
 The city of Silverthorne retrieved its name from “Hangin’ Judge Silverthorne” who become famous for his strict interpretation of the wording of the law. However, time have changed and you do not have to fear to find yourself hanging at the next tree for minor misdemeanours.